My Undergraduate Project So Far, Part 2: Fall 2013

This post documents the progress I have made on my undergraduate project over the last four months, with Dr. Philip Johnson of the Collaborative Software Development Laboratory as my advisor. It is a continuation of Part 1.

September 2013: WattDepot Backup Script

September was spent working on a shell script and cron job to back up the WattDepot database, and documenting the process for restoring it to a new WattDepot installation. The script (viewable here) dumped WattDepot’s local PostgreSQL database, created a monthly backup of it if it was the first day of the month, created a daily backup, and deleted any backups more than seven days old.

During September, I also worked on the first drafts of the usability survey that would accompany my usability tests. The study had been redesigned to center around Vagrant and another usability enhancement by the Collaborative Software Development Laboratory’s Carleton Moore, called the Smart Grid Game Designer (SGG Designer).

October 2013: Vagrant Maintenance Updates and Experiment Redesigns

In October I discovered that VirtualBox 4.3.* versions were incompatible with the Vagrant virtual machine that I had been using because they had been packaged with an older version of the VirtualBox Guest Additions (4.2.0). The fix I implemented required the user to install the third-party vbguest plugin, which automatically attempts to upgrade all Vagrant machines to the version of the Guest Additions currently installed on their system. After this was complete, the user had to run the Vagrant installation script once again after editing some configuration files.

Since this solution was more complicated in the short term than continuing to rely on the last compatible version of VirtualBox, documentation was added telling users not to use versions newer than 4.2.18. The documentation for Vagrant virtual machine configuration was also updated to reflect changes to the behavior of the vagrant up command since Vagrant 1.3.5.

In October, I also conducted informal “friends-and-family” testing of my study design. The original plan had been to have each subject complete the Vagrant installation process in one virtual machine, then configure a Makahiki competition using the Smart Grid Game Designer in a second machine. It took one user approximately two hours to get through the entire process, which led me to break the test into two separate tests, each one being taken by a different group of subjects. The first test would now cover the Vagrant setup process, and the second test would now cover the SGG Designer. Documentation for Vagrant was simplified and revised based on feedback that described which parts were too complicated.

Last of all, I implemented a partial fix for a Makahiki bug that allowed mixed-case usernames to be used even though their users could not use them to log in due to a Django bug. The patch changed the handling of bulk user uploads to automatically convert mixed-case usernames to lowercase.

October – November 2013: IRB Submission and Django 1.6 Upgrades

The second half of October saw a long back-and-forth dialogue with the university’s Institutional Review Board that eventually resulted in the exemption of my study from full review, even though the delays forced me to move the study to January. My UROP research funding was approved once the IRB approved my exempt status, but I am still waiting on the actual disbursement of funds.

In November, Yongwen Xu of the CSDL upgraded Makahiki to use Django 1.6. I uncovered and fixed some minor bugs related to Vagrant functionality, but otherwise my part of the project was mostly unaffected by the upgrade.

December 2013: User Interface Work Resumes

Towards the end of the semester, I was finally able to resume work on the new configuration interface I had originally planned to implement to improve Makahiki’s usability. Some basic features like user uploads and team and group editing have been implemented in the Makahiki widgets on this page, but round settings and challenge settings are still not included here.

Current state of the simplified configuration interface.

The current state of the simplified configuration interface. Only a few settings widgets are currently implemented.

In the next semester I will be conducting my study, completing my final research report and presentation for the Spring Symposium, hopefully finishing work on the configuration interface, and preparing to graduate with my B.S. in Computer Science.

Advertisements